Category: "Ivy Hollow, RFD Post Office - HBS Creatin' Contest 2019"

Ivy Hollow - gable addition and window

by brae  

After making a base for the bump out on the gable, I put the building in dry fit to see if the depth was enough.

I added a slab of 1/8" inch thick plywood over the base.

I popped the gable window in place while adding the siding on the adjacent edge of the gable bump out.

I then added siding to the front. I'll finish the lower portion once I have the porch ceiling board in place.

As for the gable window, the thickness of the wall with the applied siding left a gap on the interior.

I added strip wood around the inner edge of the window to fill this gap.

I painted all the siding Vintage White by Folk Art (I've colorized the roof in the below pic since the white foam core board was rather stark).  The windows and doors are Woodland Green by Americana. More on the other windows and doors to come.

Ivy Hollow - screen door, part 5

by brae  

Continuing work on the screen door. I sprayed the screen on both sides with the Rust-Oleum Self-Etching Primer as tested last time. The coverage wasn't quite as uniform over a larger patch of the material, but it's pretty great. It looks like a dusty screen, perfect for my rural setting.

It's even a little shinier on the interior side, where it would be more protected from the elements. This might have been why I had trouble painting it in the past. I might have tried to paint the shinier side instead of the dull side.

I glued the screen door boards together, then cut cross board detailing.

I painted those pieces while unattached, then added them to the previous assembly. I glued the three layers together - two wood frames with a cardstock/screen portion sandwiched between.

Here's a reminder of the middle layer setup since I had to work fast and couldn't photograph that part.

Once thoroughly dry, I gently sanded the four outer edges.

I filled any minor gaps with spackling.

I touched up the paint overall and painted the sides of the door.

Next up, building a frame to house both the screen and solid doors.

Ivy Hollow - potbelly stove, part 3

by brae  

Continuing work on the potbelly stove. I left the glue and ice cubes to dry for roughly a day and a half. The glue turned out not clear/not white, which was just fine. There were a couple of bare spots, so I glued in a couple of ice cubes with super glue gel. I super glued the wire into the groove of the front leg. This will be painted black and go through the floor then to the power strip in back, sight unseen once the stove is installed.

I added some texture to the inside of the stove where it might be seen. I glued the front door shut, though the kit does allow for a swinging door. I find it simpler to just keep it closed with the damper glued in the open position to see the lights inside. The stove lid is removable, though.

I used Testors model paints to add red and orange over the top of the ice cube/glue surface and let that dry completely. The trick is not to shake or stir the paint but use the transparent colored liquid after the paint has settled. This was taught to me by the helpful folks at the local HobbyTown USA.

Mmm...watermelon candies! :D

Working slowly with a small paintbrush and the lights on, I painted the surface flat black in spots. It's easier to add more paint than take it away.

I carefully removed the masking from the bulbs. The yellow LED was a bit too bright in relation, so I toned it down with the Testors paint. If I were to do this again, I would make the third flickering bulb orange instead of yellow.

I fine-tuned the surface with greys and a bit more black, covering the tops of the LEDs to mask them.

It might seem too dark in the photo, but the effect in real life is lovely.

Glowing embers....

Of course, you really won't be able to see much of them once the stove is in place, but I know they are there...and the next time I need embers, this is the method I will use.

Next up is the stove pipe and adding a smidgen of dust.

Sue Bakker - Birds on a Branch, 11 hours

by brae  

First major update on the Birds on a Branch rug. :] This is 11 hours of stitching time so far.

Mail Wagon - part 7

by brae  

Continuing work on the Mail Wagon. With the replacement wheel parts received, I was able to assemble all four wheels. I decided to use the "scrap" wheels that were cut between the thin true parts. The scrap wheels are more substantial for a mail wagon versus a doctor's buggy, and I will be handling the wagon and therefore the wheels a lot during the cabin construction. As expected, the replacement scrap wheels are slightly smaller than the original wheels, but this works without issue. I've seen mail wagons with all the same size wheel and those with smaller wheels in the front.

I left the previous large wheel on the jig and fit its corresponding scrap wheel inside since the paper pattern isn't meant as a guide for the scrap wheels. I'm using only the long spokes, measuring and cutting them to fit one at a time. While there are two extras in each set of spokes in case of disaster, I am assembling the larger wheels first. If I get a spoke too short for these, those shortened pieces will likely work for the smaller wheels.

You are to complete the spokes in opposing pairs so the wheel stays uniform and flat. I built in a little tension to help the minimal amount of super glue gel used, but too much tension can make the wheel buckle.

The assembly was actually very sturdy once removed from the jig.

While I did round the edges a touch before assembly, the instructions indicate to fine-tune the small ends into rods. This worked only so well in that each one will always turn out differently. Once painted and with added grime, they should be fine. I filled the nail holes with wood putty.

Three more to go....

1 ... 7 8 9 ...10 ... 12 ...14 ...15 16 17 ... 20