Steampunk Holiday, part 5 - hat completed

by brae  

Continuing work on the Steampunk Holiday ensemble.  I looked for cream colored flowers, but none spoke to me that weren't way too huge to have on top of my head.  :D  I ended up buying a package of 4 dark red felt roses at Michael's.  These are by Jolee's Boutique, and there were four on a card.  Each had a sticky pad on the back, but I removed that so I could glue them to the hat and to each other.  I chose a grouping of three for balance and full coverage of the feather stalk.

On the inside, I glued a pad of millinery batting in the middle of the hat.  This helped even out the bulk of the turned velvet around the edge.

I then cut a piece of taffeta left over from the skirt to line the hat and used a blind stitch to sew the lining in place.  Sometimes I use combs for hats, but this time I opted for two barrette clips.

My finished hat!  :D

I really love it.  It's the perfect size, very lightweight and stays just where it's supposed to with the clips.

It jingles only a little, which is good...Jasper would never let me out of the house otherwise.  Cat, stop batting my head...I have a party to attend!!! :\

4 comments

Comment from: Blondie [Visitor]

Fantastic!!!

11/26/13 @ 18:36
Comment from: Keli [Visitor]

It’s smaller than I expected, the size of the spinach bowl was misleading. I love it, it’s fabulous!

11/26/13 @ 20:15
Comment from: brae [Member]

Thanks!! :D

The spinach bowl is large, but it was the only thing I had in the house that was round without a base ring like most bowls have. And, I used only a small portion of the stretched buckram. Somewhat wasteful, but buying a hat form for maybe one hat every other year would have been as well. :yes:

11/26/13 @ 21:22
Comment from: Veronique Blommaart [Visitor]

Love it!!!
Véronique

11/27/13 @ 04:26


Form is loading...