Steampunk Holiday, part 4

by brae  

Continuing work on the Steampunk Holiday ensemble.  With the hat wired, I added a layer of millinery batting on the top surface using a light amount of Aleene's Quick Dry glue.

I then placed the scrap of chocolate velvet over the batting.  I had cut the piece to use the thin selvedge for the back point.  This cuts down on the bulk of the fabric turned under the edge.  I snipped the curve of the fabric and pinned the velvet in place on the underside, adjusting the fit as I went around.

It's important to keep a smooth top surface and outer edge.   I then sewed the velvet to the buckram using my curved quilting needle, being careful not to catch the velvet on the top side.  I tried the hat on and adjusted the bend of the wire.  I pinned the feather bundle in place and then stitched it to the hat, running the thread through all layers.

The back point tips down so you won't see the lining underneath when the hat is worn.

Next up, embellishments to hide the feather stalk.


Comment from: Blondie [Visitor]
Wow! That looks very tricky. Well done!
11/18/13 @ 21:33
Comment from: April [Visitor]
Oooh, great feathers. Velvet can be tough on straight lines, well done my friend.
11/19/13 @ 05:29
Comment from: brae [Member]
Thank you! :>>
12/08/13 @ 12:08

Form is loading...