Asian inspired dress

by brae  

I've had this pattern quite awhile: Butterick 4796.  The copyright is 2006, and I bought it new from a local fabric store.

I've also had this grey-green jacquard fabric for a couple of years.  I bought it from Fashion Fabrics Club to make a different dress and fell so in love with the color, drape and pattern that I bought another five yards to keep in my stash of fabrics.  :]  I have plans to rework that original dress since it doesn't quite fit as well as I had hoped and to make a skirt from the fabric as well.

The first thing you can see is that I eliminated the keyhole altogether.  Unfortunately, I didn't start with a muslin of this garment since the measurements were very clear and workable for me.  In fact, I got it all put together except for binding the armholes and putting on the collar and the fit was perfect.  The problem?  The keyhole opening looked ridiculous on me...the cleavage was way off in my opinion.  Imagine two cue balls in the center pocket.  :D  I would have been so uncomfortable wearing it in public.  Even I was having a hard time looking anywhere but right in my cleavage.  Haha.  Before taking it apart, I modeled it for a friend.  She even blushed, and we had a good laugh.

Fortunately, I had more fabric to cut a contoured front to fit the upper front I already had.  (And, the front piece I removed is large enough to be used to cut smaller pieces for another garment.)  I put the garment back together and blind stitched the upper front over the lower front by hand.  Yes, I matched the pattern...mom's sure to be proud.  :]

In addition to this change, I cut the length to hit at the ankle and lowered the tops of the side slits by four inches.  I interfaced the upper front as well as the collar and facings since my fabric was a bit thinner and needed the extra support.  I made the collar like View A without the biased tape edging and made armhole facings to finish those edges (without interfacing to keep down the thickness, though there were quite a few layers at the underarm seam).

And, finally, I added small darts in the front to shape the waist and remove some fullness.  The front isn't as fitted as the back, but it now drapes nicely and is comfortable to wear.


shoes: Aerosoles 'Buttered Role'

1 comment

Comment from: Rachel [Visitor]

I love that dress. I have that same pattern and have not made anything from it yet. I just can’t seem to come up with the fabric I want to use, but the Asian inspired look is perfect!!

02/19/11 @ 08:05


Form is loading...