Antique wall phone

by brae  

The Chrysnbon phone/clock/coat rack kit has a wonderfully detailed set of mini accessories.

The phone is very well done as is, but I wanted a smaller wall phone.  So, I used the hook, receiver, mouthpiece and bells to make my own.  You can see the original mouthpiece, too long for the style I planned to make.

I cut down the arm to make a shorter version.

I used scrap wood to make the housing and stained it medium brown.  I painted the black parts with Testors semi-gloss black.  I left off the name plate that many of these phones had since it would have been too small to be legible and would have detracted from the overall look.

Hang it on the wall, and now we're in business.  :D

Fabric bolts

by brae  

I made up some fabric bolts using balsa wood and fabric scraps from my stash.  They were time-consuming but an easy project.  :]

The labels are images I found on the internet, printed on Avery labels.  I wasn't very careful with the application of the labels, which adds to the realism.  The bolts look like battered cardboard, just like the real deal.  :D

Mom brought me some mini gifts from a recent trip: a brass bucket, a spinning wheel and an old-fashioned sewing machine.  I've got some ideas for these.  :]

Chrysolite kits

by brae  

Finding good lighting is always a challenge but not impossible.  I've used Chrysolite kits in the past, and I like their adaptability even if they are more old fashioned in design.

I had one Zenith Hanging Lamp kit in my stash, and Debora sent me a matching kit along with two Heritage Chandelier kits for my project.

They are finished in color, and in theory you can just put them together as is but I never work that way.  :D  I'm a perfectionist, and it bothers me when the plastic shows under the factory finish where the plastic parts separate from the sprue.  So, I've chose gunmetal for the single pendants and black for the chandliers.

I also prefer replaceable bulbs.  Now, some of these kits can be purchased with replaceable bulb sockets, but these did not have that feature.  For the Heritage Chandeliers, I chose to use 3/16" Cir-Kit candle sockets with varnished wires.  The included kit bulbs are shown in the middle here.

These were a test of wills.  The required splicing of six wires into two bundles of three, ending in one exit wire each, inside the main cone is not an easy task and you get one shot at it because you cut the wires so short.  I had to scrap three sockets in one attempt.  :\ But, it all worked out in the end.  Here's the first socket installed with the wires looped through the bracket.

 I changed out the included chain for heavier (and darker) chain.

Here's the first one 99% complete.  I need to paint to cover the red wires so they won't be as noticeable.

I also want to add wax to hold the hurricanes and shades in place.  They will still be fiddly but more manageable.  They really are perfect for the space.

I changed the Zenith lamps to pendants with aluminum tubing.  I used 3mm LED bulbs from Evan Designs since there is no way to make the bulbs changeable and LEDs last longer.  I chose separating LEDs so I could feed the new wires through the tubes but still have these connected to the 12V system.  Again, I've shown the original kit bulbs below.

Twisting the wires makes it easier to feed through the tubing.

I spray painted the pieces a darker gunmetal color to replace the factory brass paint finish before the final assembly.

The 3mm LEDs look like true bulbs as well.  :]

Repairing textured paper

by brae  

I am using textured scrapbook paper called Pressed Tiles - Brown, by The Paper Studio (purchased from Hobby Lobby) for the ceiling.  Love this paper!  I used it in the Heritage kitchen, painted white.  This time, I painted it Liquitex Antique Bronze.  Lovely.  :]

But, what's this?!!  I didn't notice at first, but some of the texture is flat.  I'm not sure if this is a manufacturing defect or if the paper flattened when I applied the wallpaper paste.  I didn't notice it until after I painted the paper.  The other sheet I had has flat places, too, but in different areas.  =shrug=

I dipped a toothpick in white glue and filled in the pattern.

Once dry, I painted over the glue.

It's not perfect, but it's much better.  :D

Three and a half months left...

by brae  

There are roughly three and a half months left to the deadline, and this is the time when I usually get impatient and want to reveal what I'm working on.  :D  Even Roland is sneaking about trying to see inside.

This is also the point where my long lists of to-do items get more serious and things start falling by the wayside, things I won't have time to add and things I've changed my mind about for the final look.  I have one more week off from work planned later this season, but I'll try to keep motivated to do at least one thing a day whether it's painting a trim or researching a solution.

1 ... 83 84 85 ...86 ... 88 ...90 ...91 92 93 ... 345