I'm back!

by brae  

Did you think I fell into a deep sleep on that beautiful bed?  :D

I arrived back yesterday from a business trip to Vancouver, British Columbia.  There were 82 of us at this event, and I was part of the planning committee.  It was good to catch up with old friends, to get to know recent ones better and to make some new ones.  :D  I did have a couple of days for personal touring, too.  It was my first time there, and I definitely want to go back.

I had brought some needlework and mini flower kits with me, but it was pretty much a non-stop series of events between meetings, meals and activities.  During my off weekend, I stopped at Ross' Miniatures in North Vancouver.  Mary was so helpful and friendly.  I was able to find a number of interesting and vintage items.

This Timberbrook closet kit comes with working sliding doors and wood pieces to make an enclosed closet.

These are no longer made and hard to find.

I bought a number of packages of brackets for The Brownstone.  The ones that came with the kit require assembly and since I plan to add to the overall structure, there would not be enough of them to go around.

I found a contemporary chair and side table.  I've never seen anything like these before.

While I was away, some fun new minis from Blake at A Bohemian Bazaar arrived at home.  They are so well made.

The tweets are so tiny!

I slept most of the afternoon yesterday to make up for all the sleep I missed this past week.  Of course, Jasper wanted to play and snuggle.  :D  I missed seeing his furry little face every day.  Today is laundry and unpacking day.  It's good to be home.

Beautiful bed

by brae  

Even though Jasper Inlet Light isn't scheduled to break ground for quite some time, it's hard to pass up pieces I know will be perfect for my vision of it.  I've noticed that if I skip over something, it tends to be sold out and out of production by the time I'm ready for it.  I picked up this lovely bed from Regent Miniatures (a new name for a long time supplier on eBay.)

It has wonderful vintage styling with crisp white upholstery.

Surprise minis in the mail!

by brae  

I came home today to a surprise package in the mail from Keli.  :D  She included the cutest owl bead...will be perfect as a statue.

Another owl pendant will make a lovely wall hanging.

The two bead bottles she made have perfect pump dispensers!

This frog bead has given me an idea...stay tuned!

Thank you so much, Keli!!!  :D

Spring Fling Fireplace, part 1

by brae  

The fireplace plan has been scroll sawed into wood reality.  :D

All of the pieces are still unattached.  I need to apply the final finish to them first.

The evolving Brownstone

by brae  

Now that the kit is out of the box, I've had some time to consider the original kit measurements and what I ultimately would like to do with the build.  I do love the kit photo, but I won't be building that one exactly.

Golden Gate View kit photo

The first thing I considered was the beautiful 1:14 scale Audi TT automobile I have from the Newport build.  It has been sitting on the bookshelf awhile now, waiting and waiting since the Newport belongs to someone else.

Not to mention the one bicycle I have left over since the other two live at Baxter Pointe Villa.

I don't see any other build in my future where the garage could be revisited so easily.  There is already roughly 4.5" of dead space under the first floor, so adding another 5" or so to the height wouldn't be an issue.  Additional stairs would also need to be constructed, but it's not out of the norm to see this sort of profile.  The garage door can either be flush with the house (third photo) or projected toward the front.  I'm more inclined toward the flush front garage since, in mini, a projected one might take over the house.

image from Clopay

In order to accommodate the Audi, or a larger 1:12 scale auto if I acquire one, in a flush front garage, I would need to add a little depth to the kit as well.

This is where I need to determine if I will also make the house a little wider to allow the additional kitchen and bathroom or if I will make it a lot deeper like a real life row house.  Here's a quarter scale example of a deeper row house with a side opening.

My original inspiration is similar to a row house in shape in the front, but it has an outcropping on the back left side.  If I add to the side, it would remain an open back dollhouse.

image from Old House Online

I won't be adding a roof like this one, either.  Here's an interesting row house with a wonderful rooftop garden (click the lower left photo to see additional views) - this was from The House that Jack Built.  Blondie located a photo of the barebones house in an old miniature magazine, but we've not been able to find out much about that house.  I don't know if I would go as far with the rooftop garden decorating, but it would be fun to have a little something up there.  It, too, is a side opening house.

I like the detailing on Majestic Mansions side openings.  They have a slight finished area on the front and back edges of the open side.  This completes the corners nicely, especially when viewed from the front.  So, my plan is to make a foam core mockup with a side opening to see which way I like it best.  :D

I'm also thinking of changing from a red brick build to a tan stone build.  I've always loved the way Cynthia made her Beacon Hill, and I think that sort of stone would work nicely on the Brownstone.

There's also the Franklin Mint Christmas Memories house.  I would have Bittersweet Chocolate and Warm White trim to accent the tan stone.  This would also mean considerably less egg carton cutting...still a lot, just in larger pieces.

1 ... 172 173 174 ...175 ... 177 ...179 ...180 181 182 ... 343