Watson Mill - the end of the dry fit

by brae  

Since I had left the original door and window in place on the kit front, I had to even out the raised portions of the die cuts.  I used 60 grit sandpaper taped to a scrap of wood to flat sand the raised areas away.  I touched up the gesso primer afterwards.

I finished gluing the circle library, cut some shims for behind the mirror, removed the protective covering and pushed the circle in place.

The circle can be taken out to clean or replace the mirror as needed.

I marked the dumbwaiter opening on the side wall between the floors and filled in the open portion of the channel.

I cut a piece of wallpaper to fit (Happenstance Fluke by The Paper Loft).  This will be glued after the walls are in place, but it is easier to measure and cut while flat.

The front wallpaper needed to be installed before gluing the walls in place since there's a side board for the circle library that abuts that wall.  Installing beforehand means I don't have to guess at the clearance needed for the wallpaper.  There is a tab on the right side to hide the seam in that corner.

I was dealing with a warp in the front board, so I added steel rod spikes at the corners to help hold the wall straight.  I still used wood glue, but the pins kept the wall straight while the glue set and will provide stability to the join.

Ready?  It was scary, but I glued the library wall and front wall in place, letting the join set before adding the remaining side wall.  I added a strip of Tyvek to the exterior join for stability.

For the side wall, I applied glue for the wall and then applied some wallpaper mucilage to the tab.  Saves me the hassle of trying to apply glue to the tab in place after the fact. No photo since I had to work fast here.

I had drilled pilot holes into the front board for nails.  I continued the pilot holes and then added finishing nails.  Earlier, I had decided it was easier to run the floor lamp wire into the attic space, so you can see the new channel I hand cut on the outside to join with the interior upper channel in the bedroom.

I taped the upper back wall in place just to hold the structure.  There is more work to be done on this wall, so it will stay loose for now.  The ceiling board is also loose for now but used to hold the structure square for gluing.

We're getting there!  :D

7 comments

Comment from: Debora [Visitor]

I love it when it’s time to glue!!!
It’s coming together and looks great. :D

08/05/17 @ 11:17
Comment from: Barbara [Visitor]

It’s certainly coming together! I really like the library wall - the removable circle is a very clever idea.

08/05/17 @ 11:35
Comment from: Samantha [Visitor]

Exciting times ahead! Look how great the Library looks in there!

08/05/17 @ 12:40
Comment from: azteclady [Visitor]

It is so very exciting indeed! I just did a happy seat dance :grin:

08/05/17 @ 13:15
Comment from: Sheila [Visitor]

Oh wow! Amazing to see the walls up and glued. Can’t get over how gorgeous the shelves look and the wallpaper is lovely.

08/05/17 @ 18:03
Comment from: Jodi [Visitor]

This is one solid little structure! I bet it’s going to start coming together quickly from here, and I can’t wait! Well done, Brae!

08/05/17 @ 23:21
Comment from: brae [Member]

Thank you!! :>>

However, I doubt things will speed up from here. You all know me better than that. :))

08/06/17 @ 21:08


Form is loading...