Watson Mill - electrical plan, part 2

by brae  

Things always come up when the warmer weather hits, and I get out and about with friends and family.  Then on my "days off" from festivities, I relax and recuperate to start the work week all over again.  So, the blog slows down this time of year, but I do try to keep motivated.  I've also been feeling the sewing bug, but I haven't worked on anything in particular there, either.  Just mulling over ideas.

Back to the mill.  Getting out of dry fit for me always entails a lot of prep due to the chicken-or-egg scenarios that pop up along the way.  Before I could glue the brick foundation in place, I needed to address part of the landscaping since I didn't want to risk marring the brickwork.  I used stucco patch to even out the builders foam slopes on three sides, leaving the door wall until later.  I painted the finished portions black brown afterward.

I glued the brick foundation to the builders foam using Weldbond glue and weighted it under magazines overnight.  The next night, I ran my wires for the attic space through the foam and out the back.

I used Sharpies this time to mark the ends so I didn't have to guess which wire was which later on.

I didn't bother for the motor wires since there are only two of them.  I am using 22 gauge wire because it matches the lead wires from the motors.

I left a lot of lead for the motor wires but will still likely use an extension cord for the transformer.  I ran the wire bunches through holes in the floor board that correspond to the side wall channels.  To keep things from getting unruly, I taped the wires into looped bunches.  For the wires coming out the back, I used twist ties since tape residue will wear off on the wires if you leave it too long.  The taped bunches will be used right away.

I then glued the bottom floorboard in place and weighted the assembly with magazines and large clamps.  More drying time....  :]

7 comments

Comment from: Sheila [Visitor]

Oh my…moving out of dry fit mode can be terrifying! I wish you luck and solidly setting foundations.

08/02/17 @ 21:33
Comment from: Debora [Visitor]

Love watching this phase! :D

08/02/17 @ 23:22
Comment from: Keli [Visitor]

Oh, pretty clamps.

I’m at a chicken and egg stage too. My brain hurts.

08/03/17 @ 02:35
Comment from: Jodi [Visitor]

With all of the planning and pre-finishing you’ve already completed, this is when things will start to accelerate quickly! I’m so looking forward to seeing the layers come together! I’m also glad to hear you are enjoying the summer with friends and family - that cold and dreary winter will come too soon. Thank goodness we have mini time to look forward to when we’re forced into indoor activities!

08/03/17 @ 09:41
Comment from: elizabeth s [Visitor]

It’s gonna be good! :)

08/03/17 @ 10:40
Comment from: brae [Member]

Yes, those clamps are beasts but nothing moves when they are secured! :))

08/03/17 @ 11:48
Comment from: Samantha [Visitor]

Good idea to colour code your wiring.. filing that idea away. :D
Looks like you are moving right along.

08/03/17 @ 15:45


Form is loading...