The Deck - part 3
Continuing work on The Deck. To finish the outer edges of the side deck, I used dark trim wood from my stash. This is definitely Dura-Craft wood, but I am not sure from which kit or if it is walnut (I think it is). It's close in color to the wood I plan to use for the leaf portions of the deck and using existing materials will keep the cost down.
I love the play of light and dark, and it was such a simple design element. I didn't trim the main deck yet, since I want to finish the leaf sections first.
The leaves. After a lot of deliberation, I decided to use the same reverse approach I did with the main and side decks. I would form the surface boards first and then work on a supporting framework. Beyond that, I thought developing the walnut outlines and center veins, then cutting the individual boards for the interior portions would be the simplest approach.
I started by redrawing my leaf shapes. My mockup had used rough sketches and cutouts. I used a 5 7/8" diameter lid, which was close to my original mockup size, to make one end of the leaf.
I marked a point the length of my original mockup (9 1/4"). Digging into my old art supplies for a flexible curve, I created a gentle curve first on one side and then the other.
I cut the leaf out and made two more leaves from this one.
I marked the outline 3/8" inside the outer edge. Since my deck is smaller in proportion to the original and this will be my first major scroll saw endeavor, I kept the center veins soft -- just enough to give a sense of movement without overly complicating matters. :D They are also 3/8" wide.
On a new sheet of paper, I measured from the bottom and marked 7/16" intervals. I was planning on 3/8" boards for this portion as well, and 7/16" allows for some room between each plank. I drew lines to make a base guide.
I positioned the leaf template over the lines so there would be a good layout of whole board widths.
I taped the leaf in place and traced the lines onto the template.
I did the same for the other side, varying the angle of the lines.
I darkened the boards that would be walnut, repeated the process for the other two leaves and tested the fit again.
The pencil makes these very messy, so I will make photocopies to work with going forward.
I just made my vote for your blog again. It's such a neck-and-neck race. How exciting!
Wish you luck!