The big push forward on Heritage completion, part 1
I wouldn't say I've been slacking on my two current builds, but I felt it was time to spend a weekend truly dedicated to making as much progress as possible. The Undersized Urbanite contest ends on May 4, so The Artist's Studio needs to be completed by then. I also have a killer idea for the new HBS Creatin' Contest for 2013 that ends in December of this year, but we have yet to see the new 2013 Greenleaf Spring Fling kit.
To that end, I have to get the Heritage finished. It will be my first non-contest completed build, and to me, that's a huge milestone for a miniaturist. We all flit from idea to idea and often houses that don't have contest deadlines end up 95% built. I am getting so close to having the structure itself completed for the Heritage. After that, the things that remain will be decorating the bedroom and attic spaces and finishing up the landscaping.
So, I push! :D
I painted and installed the ceiling trim in the bedroom. It's a simple, flat strip wood trim, but it really brings it all together. It hides the slight gaps as well as the tabs and slots in the front and outer walls.
I cut and installed the wallpaper on the roof addition in the bathroom. I added one small strip of trim on the outer wall to disguise the tab and slot that had been showing in that area. I also added ceiling trim along the front wall to hide the slight gap there. I will add more trim around the outer wall here, but the height of the bathroom door makes it impossible to add the same trim to the inner wall.
I added the remaining side roof piece and its roof addition wall. I used the same pin technique used for the opposite side to help counteract any warping in the attic floor. I added some Tyvek reinforcements to the attic interior and over the roof ridge. The roof ridge finishing will cover this patch.
I shingled the back roof piece, first by making a template and then shingling directly onto the house before painting the new shingles to match. Moss will come later.
I cut and installed the final amount of bedroom wallpaper (I still need to add more flat ceiling trim around this corner to complete the room). There was a slight gap between the roof board and the gable wall, so I also added a thin strip of trim along the angled wall that you can't see unless you put your head inside the room. :D
I cut the new back roof piece from 1/8" thick plywood using my foam template as a guide and then primed both sides with black acrylic paint. I finished the top of the flat roof with sandpaper and painted it black, too. Both final roof pieces remain unattached at this point.
I cut paper templates for the attic roof boards and shingles for the new back roof piece.
Next, I have a whole bunch of trim to add to the house, and most of it needed to have white paint crackled over black. Figuring it would be easiest to paint first and then add touchups to any clipped ends, I painted all of the long strips of wood whole. Those are drying right now...and it has been a long day of mini work. Productive, though. :D
Continued in part 2...
The Heritage looks great and you still have one day of the weekend left! :-)
Looking great, Pea!
This has been a lovely build and so interesting to follow. I'm keen to see now what you have planned for the Spring Fling!