The big push forward on Heritage completion, part 2
Continued from yesterday's long list of accomplished tasks. :D
I added the final trim for the front gable between the eave and the house. I find that the more trim I add, the more realistic the house seems. (Note to April: if you plan on adding finishing trim like this, do it before adding the fancy gable gingerbread...trying to get my fingers in this space was interesting.) Yes, I am aware I need a wasp's nest or hanging bat here. :D
I added the final trim for the front dormer on the outer edges and at the inner eave. I had to use tweezers to glue the inner trim in place. All that's left for the dormer is the roof ridge finishing.
I finished all but one of the remaining attic wall board pieces and installed them. Had to use the mirror again to work.
I glued in the beams and rafters in the two side gables and cut rough rafter lengths for the adjacent walls that will be trimmed to the correct length during final installation. I trimmed around the chimney, and I love the way it looks. :D
I installed the main long beam made from the triangular strip wood used in the forward gable. Because the angle of the roof changes with the added back dormer, the triangular beam spans only between the two new roof side addition walls. The unpainted portion will be covered by the new roof back piece. It is secured mostly by tension with a spot of glue and tape in the middle.
I glued on the flat roof and while that was drying, I cut the shingles for the new back roof using a paper template. I had to work from the top down so the shingles would align correctly over the open back and along each side section.
I taped the completed template onto the house to see if the layout works well. The back roof isn't as long top to bottom as the other roof pieces, so the shingle pattern had to be adjusted slightly as well. I omitted the bottom diamond section but kept the top one. The chimney notch will be adjusted when I shingle the final roof piece, but I've left those pieces long for now.
My to-do list was longer, but I ran out of steam. :D