The Bay Tree - part 3

by brae  

Continuing work on the Bay Tree kit from The Miniature Garden.  I painted the branches a mix of dark grey brown and used a stylus to add a center vein to all of the leaves in the package.  I figured I would curl all of the leaves even if I ended up have some left over.

As I started gluing the leaves to the armature, I realized something was off.  The kit photo on the website shows a round, full tree top.  Mine was full, but it would not be round once completed.

I went back to the instructions and figured out where I went wrong.  The instructions indicate making five side stems but the image shows only the center stem and two side stems.  I remember being confused by this at the time and just went by the drawing.  I had wondered why I had so much wire left over.

Instead of foregoing the work already done, I made two additional side stems.  This is still not the five indicated in the kit instructions, but adding these two should address the issue for the most part.  I might end up with bare spots but it should at least be rounder overall.

I added Durham's Water Putty to the new stems as well as the main trunk.

Once it's dry, I'll touch up the paint and get back to leafing!  :D

4 comments

Comment from: Blondie [Visitor]

In that last photo, I can hear it singing an opera!

05/01/14 @ 22:43
Comment from: Irene [Visitor]

It looks like a lot of work but will be worth it in the end. I can see a little bird sitting in the branches when complete!

05/02/14 @ 03:12
Comment from: April [Visitor]

Good save, I agree this should be enough to give you a densely leaved tree.

05/02/14 @ 05:59
Comment from: Debora [Visitor]

Glad you caught that. Looks like you’ll have a really pretty tree when finished :D

05/02/14 @ 08:56