Category: "The Artist's Studio"

Retaining wall - completed

by brae  

With the horizontal boards in place on the retaining wall, I glued the surrounding base boards from Mike.  The next step was adding trim wood to finish the sides and back.  I added 1/4" x 1/16" strip wood above the horizontal Woodsies planks.  I then added various widths of trim around the top edge.  For the back, I used some old Dura-Craft trim since it was the only wood I had on hand that fit in the space.  It's slightly different in color than the rest, but it won't show in the end.

For the right and left sides, I used 1/8" x 1/8" trim up to the front drop of the retaining wall.

Over these edges, I added corner trim.  I continued down the front of the retaining wall, cutting the angles with my scroll saw.  They aren't the cleanest joins, but they won't be obvious once stained.

For the two rear corners, I added corner trim to finish the edges.  I'll add something decorative to finish the top corner later.

I cut vertical posts from 1/4" x 1/16" strip wood and glued them over the seams between the horizontal boards at 4" on center intervals.

I stained the retaining wall with Minwax Wood-Sheen rubbing stain and finish in Plantation Walnut.  I had purchased this on clearance awhile ago, and it works well.  :]

I propped the Studio up on paint cans so I could apply the stain evenly around the base.  The front board will be stained separately and added after landscaping.

I taped off the wires in the back to keep from getting stain on them.

The walnut is a great color with the red.  (Yes, I've started shingling the roof.)

And, it will coordinate well with the walnut trim around the deck.

Blue medallion rug - completed

by brae  

I have finished binding the blue medallion rug, and it is ready to take its place in The Artist's Studio.

Cross-stitching time was 154.5 hours on 32 count Jobelan.

Final finishing took only a couple of hours.  The final measurements are 7 7/8" long by 4 5/8" wide.

It fits well with the furnishings, though I will need to add feet to the daybed and whimsical cabinet to make them level.

It's such a striking design, which is what drew me in when I first saw it.  The chart came from Jorge Cubells's blog, though if you plan to make one for yourself, please write to Jorge for the half chart since the one listed on his blog is missing a column in the pattern.  My final rug shows this error, but it's not at all noticeable.

Hummingbird shower mural - drawing completed

by brae  

I decided to just wing it (ha) and draw the birds right on the drawing without a practice run.  :]  The drawing for the mural is now complete.

I did look at real life hummingbird pictures but continued the soft artistic feeling of the flowers and leaves in drawing the birds.  They are colorful and turned out better than I had expected.

I made a quick scan and printout for mockup purposes.  The end print will be softer than this one, but I love it!

Next up -- turning it into tile.

Clerestory windows - completed

by brae  

I showed the process for making the two clerestory windows in a previous post.  With the eaves finished, it was time to complete the windows and install them.

I tested the fit with the eaves in place to see if any adjustments needed to be made.  A little sanding, and the fit was snug.

I cut 1/4" strip wood to seal the top of the outer window and glued it in place.  I cut another piece of 1/4" strip wood to seal the top of the inner portion and glued it in place, making sure the acrylic could still slip out easily.

I checked the fit again...good.   The reason for the overhang on the inside is that with the added siding on the exterior, the window is slightly inset when put in place.

I added 1/16" strip wood around the interior portion to make up the rest of the difference.

I painted the new parts then put the window inserts back in before gluing the windows in place, making sure they were snug against the eaves.

On the inside, I added plain bass wood trim sealed with varnish to finish the edges of the ceiling.

I cut interior trim for the clerestory windows and painted it Warm White.

I also cut the front opening interior trim and painted it Warm White.

Trim takes a long time to finish, but it adds so much.

Wanted: asphalt shingle rolls

by brae  

I'm seeking two rolls of What's Next rectangular asphalt shingles in Desert Tan.  I've been attempting to order from the manufacturer directly, but it has been slow going.  I'm worried about meeting the Undersized Urbanite deadline, so I figured I would post my request here.  :D

I have a couple of backup plans just in case, but I have my heart set on these.

1 2 3 ...4 ... 6 ...8 ...9 10 11 12 ... 17