The Artist's Studio - Interior progress, continued

by brae  

I had the day off from work today for Presidents' Day!  Hooray!  :D

Before I could install the wallpaper, I needed to make outlets for the two lamps that would be plugged into the walls.  I usually make my own outlets from wood, but this time I tried out the glossy printed ones from miniatures.com.  They work well here since this is a more modern build.

I decided to go with the silver lamp from The Dolls House Emporium, simply because it looked the most like a work lamp.  I will build a taller table for it to work better with the easel.

I then glued in the wallpaper...always a test of patience.  Haaaa!

I glued the Southern Pine flooring sheet to the ceiling board.  I had to use four rows of boards from a second sheet to cover the entire ceiling.

Once dry, I used the same Delta Ceramcoat satin varnish that I had used on the flooring.  It warmed the wood tones slightly.

Just a quick note on why I initially wanted a natural wood ceiling and decided to stick with that idea.  I guess I've considered this building to be an extra space built on a larger lot with a residence...like an efficiency apartment.  So, it wasn't built with the idea of its being a studio, per se, but a small retreat or guest cottage.  Now, it is occupied by an artist, and the cozy warmth inside inspires creativity even if it's not designed to be the most efficient artist studio with the best possible lighting and tons of storage.  :]

I installed the Lundby sconces in the living area.  Since these will need to be removable for rewiring, they are held in place with mini hold wax.   On the outside, I ran the wires through the channels to the open area.  Since I don't want the wires to stick to the tape keeping them in place, I added quilling paper to the tape.

This will keep the wires in the channels but able to move freely in case of rewiring.

For the Lundby sconce above the door, I needed to glue in the wallpaper first.  But, I can't install the exterior coach lamp until after the siding is on the outside.  But, I can't install the siding until the ceiling is on and the recessed can light is wired.  Oy.

So, I glued the part of the interior wallpaper that covers the Lundby sconce hole but left the lower portion free so I can wire the coach lamp later on.

Since I had the wiring completed on the back wall, I decided to glue on the exterior siding template to see how easy it was (or not) to do.  I spread Aleene's Quick Dry glue on the back of the template and dotted it with dabs of super glue gel.  I pressed it in place and taped it across.  So far so good.  :]  I think it needs to be sanded and varnished, though.

I painted the baseboard trim Warm White by Americana.  Why that color and not true white?  It's softer, and I had an extra bottle of it from The Aero Squadron Lounge.  ;]  Since the interior is still in progress, only the back and outer side baseboards are installed at this point.  The outlet stickers worked very well.

I accomplished quite a lot over the long weekend.

The work lamp can double as a table lamp by the daybed, too.

Next up for the interior, the wood stove and its brick surround...

10 comments

Comment from: Angie Hall [Visitor]

So glad you had the day off in order to play! Wow! You’ve done so much! And it’s coming together so nicely. I love the detail of the wall outlets. Thanks for sharing!

02/18/13 @ 18:40
Comment from: Lucille [Visitor]

You certainly have been busy. Amazing what you accomplished during your weekend, Brae. And, I must say I love the ceiling even though you did not paint it white. I think it’s probably much nicer like this than it would have been white. Great job! Thanks for that tip about the quilling paper covering the wires. And thanks for mentioning those outlets from miniatures.com. I had no idea they even existed.

02/18/13 @ 21:25
Comment from: brae [Member]

Thanks so much! :D Yes, I just could not bring myself to paint the ceiling white. I had my heart set on a natural wood ceiling. :yes:

02/18/13 @ 21:57
Comment from: Blondie [Visitor]

It looks superb!

02/18/13 @ 22:20
Comment from: Elga [Visitor]

It is looking great Brae. Reed ceilings are used a lot in South Africa, so I am very used to the look.

http://www.africanreed.co.za/html/gallery.html

02/18/13 @ 22:29
Comment from: Blondie [Visitor]

I am so in love with the color variation in your floor. Great wood choice (on the bottom and the top!).

02/19/13 @ 09:08
Comment from: Irene [Visitor]

Now that you’ve given background for the reasoning behind the wood ceiling, I can certainly see why you wouldn’t want it white. It looks good and you’ve clearly made the most of your long weekend.

I’m impressed with the quilling paper idea!

02/19/13 @ 11:33
Comment from: Debora [Visitor]

Looks good. Love the crates! Brilliant use of quilling paper too!

02/19/13 @ 12:30
Comment from: Linda [Visitor]

Wow, did you make good use of your day off. I have a question about your Lundby lights; do you have to rewire them for the US, or are they already the correct voltage. I have relatives coming from Germany and would like some Lundby lights but I’m not sure if they would work with US wiring.

I think you’ve got us all beat in the undersized urbanite competition!

02/19/13 @ 15:52
Comment from: brae [Member]

Thanks so much, everyone! Love those reed ceilings, Elga!

For the Lundby lights, I'’m not sure what voltage they are. But, mine were vintage and the bulbs were long burned out. I had to rewire them just to have them working again. I used 12V bulbs with varnished wires since those were the only ones that would fit the small holes of the fixture.

It will be a stretch to even get the Studio done for the Undersized Urbanite contest! 88|

02/19/13 @ 16:39


Form is loading...