Sue Bakker - Birds on a Branch, 14.5 hours

by brae  

Update on the Birds on a Branch rug. After the last update, I lost a bit of motivation after deciding I didn't like the diagonal striped border. The knots were not lining up well, and it was becoming a jumbled mess the more I added. Here is what it looked like last.

I had two choices - remove the knots in the border or start over. At 11 hours of work, it wasn't a terrible thing to restart, but I decided to try removing the knots.

You can't just rip stitches when every stitch is a knot, because it will destroy the fabric. Instead, I took a fresh X-Acto blade, wiped it completely clean and slid the edge under the heads of the knots on the front side. This is as scary as it sounds. Nothing to lose if it didn't work, though, since I wasn't going to continue with what I had.

It did work, though. I used packing tape to lift the threads and fuzz left from cutting away the knots. There were three places in the fabric where there was some minor damage - not true holes but very thin remaining fabric.

I ironed on some fusible interfacing to patch those holes. It's very thin material, so it wouldn't build up any bulk while still providing more substance for the stitches to grab onto.

I opted for a solid border, which I already like better. I might make it wider later on. The diagonal striped border would have been nice, but it was too hard to manage with freehand knots in such a small area. A vertical striped border would have been too geometric with the organic bird and branch patterns of the interior.

I didn't count the time of the knot removal and redo, but I was able to stitch more after that was done. So, this is now at 14.5 hours of work.

6 comments

Comment from: Sheila Lester [Visitor]
I like the darker border. The design is so pretty
09/10/19 @ 23:39
Comment from: Debora L. [Visitor]

I love the dark border!

09/11/19 @ 02:08
Comment from: Jeanne [Visitor]
I can see why you made the decision -- it's a rather loud border even in softer colors and with straight lines, and the more indistinct lines of the French knots just exaggerates the "op" effect. How brave of you, to take a blade to it! but well done!
09/11/19 @ 02:24
Comment from: Anna [Visitor]
Great decision to get rid of the stripes - what a difference the change to the border has made. Despite the hours of work, I usually find it better to 'bite the bullet' and just fix it as soon as you know it isn't right. Love the look for the solid dark border.
09/11/19 @ 03:14
Comment from: Kamelia [Visitor]
I think it was a very good decision. It will make the birds more visible. Nothing will distract.
09/12/19 @ 20:15
Comment from: brae [Member]
Thank you! :>> It was nail-biting work, but I am glad I did it, too. :yes:
09/17/19 @ 01:48


Form is loading...