Rustic wood siding, part 1

by brae  

I had a lot of Corona Concepts 3/4" birch siding strips leftover from Baslow Ranch.  When Lyssa started working on her Mt. Ollopa Lodge earlier this year, she needed siding.  I sent her what I had and didn't think any more about it.  When I started working on the Studio, I realized I needed the excess siding after all.  :D  I asked her if she had any left, and she did!  So, the packages traveled back up to my place.  There wasn't quite enough, so I bought another package from Greenleaf.

After putting in the wiring channels, I discovered that the recessed ceiling lights would have to be installed before the exterior siding, which is exactly the opposite of what I wanted to do.  I prefer to mount siding when the walls are unassembled so I can press them flat to dry as needed.  But, I had a lot of success using drawing paper templates for the Heritage attic walls, so that would be my solution.

Even though I am not ready to install the siding yet, I decided to work on the templates today.  I bought a package of 12" x 18" black construction paper since the store I was at didn't have larger sheets of colored drawing paper.  I started with the back, and the 18" wide sheet was exactly the measurement needed.  I cut the shorter side down, taking into account that the ceiling board will cover the top edge.  I cut out the two window holes as well.

The two sides are slightly taller than the 12" height of the paper, so I had to piece it at the very top.

I cut around the openings for the exposed wires for the Lundby sconces.  (For more on that, see this previous post.)

I did the same for the opposite side.

I had numbered the siding pieces for each side wall to use in order.  These had been measured to fit up to the exposed wires.  I used Aleene's Quick Dry glue to attach the siding pieces to the paper template, covering any holes in the template for now.  Even though I planned to paint instead of stain, I was still careful to keep glue off the exterior surface.

I pressed the templates flat to dry under magazines.  Once dry, I cut the openings in each piece.

I tested the fit to make sure everything was working.

I chose Barn Red by Apple Barrel.  It's such a fine barn red.  :D  I painted two thin coats back to back.

I left the sided templates uncovered to dry until the paint was no longer tacky.  I then covered the templates with waxed paper and pressed them flat to dry with magazines.  I'll keep these unattached until later in the build.

8 comments

Comment from: Keli [Visitor]
barn red makes me smile
02/16/13 @ 22:34
Comment from: My wee life [Visitor]
Don't leave many comments but so love watching and reading your posts and your work is stunning :)
02/17/13 @ 01:53
Comment from: Monique [Visitor]
what a beautiful colour! I like how this is coming along, I'll keep looking &#59;)
02/17/13 @ 04:35
Comment from: Debora [Visitor]
Love the vertical siding!
02/17/13 @ 09:46
Comment from: Lucille [Visitor]
Great idea to use the templates. I was a novice when I did the siding on my house and I just glued it on the house as I went along and cut and measured and adjusted. It would have been so much easier and simpler to have used a template, especially around all the windows and the roof.
02/17/13 @ 20:57
Comment from: Irene [Visitor]
You're very methodical and I love that shade of red.
02/18/13 @ 09:46
Comment from: Lyssa [Visitor]
Yea templates! It never occurred to me to use them with the Lodge. Doh. Luckily, it all worked out all right. :D I LOVE that color. Makes me smile, too.
02/18/13 @ 11:13
Comment from: brae [Member]
Thanks so much!!! :>> Barn red makes me happy, too!
02/18/13 @ 22:13


Form is loading...