Category: "Ivy Hollow, RFD Post Office - HBS Creatin' Contest 2019"

We've got more mail!

by brae  

After the letters, envelopes and postcards, I still needed mailers and catalogs. Rural Free Delivery meant businesses could expand and reach more customers, and people in rural areas would have access to goods far from home.

Again, I turned to online image searches, trying to limit those chosen to 1917, give or take a year. Though I was able to find some fully scanned catalogs including the inner pages, I focused on covers and glued each one shut with inserts. These would be placed in the pigeon holes and not opened for viewing. Some of these came from sale listings, so I was able to get accurate measurements for scale, though I had to increase the scale size to get a good print in some instances. Some required more sprucing up in PhotoShop than others as well.

I'm not completely sure, but I would imagine many magazines were sent in envelopes with handwritten addresses. Since I spent so much time researching and working on the catalogs and magazines, I didn't want to hide them away in envelopes.

Seed catalogs.

This one is a 1916 with a changed date. I could not pass up that cover!

Ladies magazines.


Lionel electric toy trains.

Machinery and pulleys.




National Geographic.

Booze. Prohibition is coming!

I used true real life magazine pages for the inserts for the magazines. The color and variation add more realism.

For the catalogs, I used black and white printed pages. While many of these would not have been printed to the edges of the pages in reality, I liked the look better than plain card stock or paper.

I'm still making many more envelopes with letters, but this is the mail I have on hand, along with a few gifted letter sets not shown here. Like flowers, you always need more filler than you I might be making even more in the end. I also plan to add packages.

Ivy Hollow - hot off the press

by brae  

I've made up a mini newspaper stack for the post office. I settled on a midyear 1917 edition of The Philadelphia Inquirer because it had horse drawn carriages on the front page above the fold. Again, these are in scale and not really legible.

I printed two other styles of interior pages just to have print throughout, though the backs of each image are blank.

I cut the various spreads then folded each individually.

I placed the two inserts inside the cover and folded into shape. A roller helped push everything together.

I glued the main fold on the inside and then a few random corners to hold the shape a bit.

I rolled the paper again and trimmed the non-folded edges with an X-Acto knife.

I tried to get them as consistent as possible, but I really needed only one near perfect one for the top of the stack.

As long as they were all relatively close in size, they would work as a stack.

Once I had a stack of ten, I used buttonhole thread to tie the stack.

Hooray! :D

Ivy Hollow - brass plaque

by brae  

I bought a 42-piece lot of vintage charms of the logo for the United States Post Office Department, which was the original name of the United States Postal Service.

No, I didn't need 42 of these suckers, but how perfect for a plaque.

I was going to make a sign to resemble a porcelain plaque, but this is delightful at 5/8" diameter.

I didn't want to wait to ask the seller for a smaller lot, because I couldn’t find anything like these online in a smaller quantity and I would have been sad had I missed out on this perfect detail. There are three styles, and one has already made its way to a new home. I'll list these in my etsy shop once I reopen. :]

Ivy Hollow - out of dry fit!

by brae  

I did a lot of prep work today, installed the sheet flooring, drilled holes where the wire channels meet the foundation and prepped the landscape board. I won't be attaching the house to the base until I get to the electrical shed and landscaping, just to make sure the building is in the right place. But, the board is prepped and primed with its felt feet on the bottom.

I have glued in three of the five walls! Wahoo! :D

I propped the remaining two in place to make sure the whole structure fits well.

Ivy Hollow - windows, a second look

by brae  

I'm using Houseworks attic windows for my tiny post office. They have interior trim that fits around the frame.

After seeing one in dry fit, it all seemed out of proportion.

Here's an interior window with the trim pulled in closer. It sits on top of the frame instead of surrounding it.

I had padded the exterior of the attic windows to make up for some of the difference in depth, and I couldn't add more without throwing the proportion off on the outside.

That left padding the walls on the inside. I needed only 1/16" thick material to make the walls flush with the windows, so I bought chip board sheets as an economical solution.

I cut new interior trim, eliminating the angled corners that are often hard to cut by hand. Better. :]

1 2 4 ...6 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17