Category: "Flowers and plants"

The Bay Tree - part 3

by brae  

Continuing work on the Bay Tree kit from The Miniature Garden.  I painted the branches a mix of dark grey brown and used a stylus to add a center vein to all of the leaves in the package.  I figured I would curl all of the leaves even if I ended up have some left over.

As I started gluing the leaves to the armature, I realized something was off.  The kit photo on the website shows a round, full tree top.  Mine was full, but it would not be round once completed.

I went back to the instructions and figured out where I went wrong.  The instructions indicate making five side stems but the image shows only the center stem and two side stems.  I remember being confused by this at the time and just went by the drawing.  I had wondered why I had so much wire left over.

Instead of foregoing the work already done, I made two additional side stems.  This is still not the five indicated in the kit instructions, but adding these two should address the issue for the most part.  I might end up with bare spots but it should at least be rounder overall.

I added Durham's Water Putty to the new stems as well as the main trunk.

Once it's dry, I'll touch up the paint and get back to leafing!  :D

Happy Easter 2014!

by brae  

Archer and Juniper are sharing some treats today!

I've used a basket from Nikki Rowe and ribbon candy from Blondie.  The birds are by Barbara Ann Meyer, and the plants are from Michelle of Little Rabbit Minis and miniatures.com.

The white Easter bunny is from Milestone Miniatures.

Wishing you all a Happy Easter!  :D

The Bay Tree - part 2

by brae  

Continuing work on the Bay Tree kit from The Miniature Garden.  I departed from the instructions slightly in this next step.  The kit indicated using florist tape to cover the stem, but I never have luck with that.  Instead, I used Durham's Water Putty as I had for the dogwood tree and the Heritage tree.

I used a small brush to apply the putty.  You have to throw away anything used with the putty -- your mixing cup and applicator -- because you don't want this stuff hardening in your pipes!  :O

I coated the main stem and a few bits of the upper branches.

Once this dries, I'll paint the stem and branches, then it will be time for leaves!  :D

The Bay Tree - part 1

by brae  

I spent a lot of time on the Creatin' Contest this weekend and now it's time for a break from building.  This is the Bay Tree kit from The Miniature Garden.  This is what I have in mind for the Brownstone bay window space on the main floor.

Talk about unruly!  I finally managed to get the wires into a good shape.  :]

I have three large planters to choose from.  From left to right, there's a resin pot with tall ships from The Dolls House Emporium, a modern resin pot from miniatures.com and a metallic glazed ceramic pot by Alex Meiklejohn.

I stuck a piece of styrofoam in each of the pots to check for size.  Ships...too small?

Pewter...too big?

Square...just right?  :D

Of course, once the tree has leaves, I might change my mind.

Heritage chimney ivy and lawn ornaments

by brae  

While I didn't want to cover up all the lovely egg carton brickwork of the massive chimney, I did think some ivy was in order.  You know I don't shy away from cutting and shaping individual leaves, but I found something that not only looked realistic but made life easier.  :D  This is O-Scale (1:45) English Ivy from Scenic Express (Silflor Summer Ivy by Mininatur).

There are three sheets in the box.  The leaves might be small for direct 1:12 scale, but it worked very well.  You cut and stretch it to create long vines.

I thought this store was called Scenery Express since I first started buying their landscaping materials, and that's one of the web addresses that will get you there...but I just noticed that it is in fact Scenic Express.  Maybe I always had it wrong or they changed the name or they just have two domain names for the same place.  Regardless, they have a great selection of landscaping materials.

I didn't overdo it and used just under one sheet of the ivy for the project, using Aleene's clear gel glue to attach it to the house and chimney.

It disguises the awkward edge trim around the chimney.

Here's the back side of the chimney.

The chimney is now complete!  :D

I have a small amount of landscaping left to do, but I added a beautiful aged metal birdbath by Island Crafts & Miniatures to the front lawn.  The last time I made an aquarium, I used some leftover Acrylic Water resin to fill the bowl.  The birdbath is from Dejoux Miniatures.

I also planted the shepherd's hook on the side of the stairs to hang one of my birdfeeders.  :]

It amazes me how each little thing changes the look of the build.

1 ... 2 3 4 5 ...6 ... 8 ...10 ...11 12 13