Category: "Flowers and plants"

Plantings and mowing...

by brae  

I've spent the past couple of days landscaping.  The tree and grass have been planted, and the dirt and gravel put in place.

I made one branch to fit over the roof, because who is going to climb a ladder to trim it?

I used Fine Ballast Dark Brown by Woodland Scenics for the dirt and Woodland Scenics Ballast left over from Baslow Ranch for the gravel.  It's all set in place with Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement.  I've planted the black-eyed Susans along the front, too.

The grass is Heki Wild Grass in dark green.

Now there's finally something to mow.  :D

Species reclassification - from maple to ash

by brae  

When we last left the maple tree, I had started adding the leaves.  While this was working relatively well, I stumbled across a wonderful tutorial by Connie Sauve on making realistic trees.  I kept going with the leaves, but it was still in the back of my mind. After getting around the lower portion with the first batch of leaves, it just wasn't doing what I wanted.  It would be great for a sparse tree, but I wanted something fuller.

I ordered candytuft in basil green from Scenery Solutions (I loved the orange and red, but I didn't want to overpower the building or the Model T).  I looked at the local floral shops, but the floral sprays they had were different and not really workable.  I bought two bunches since I wasn't sure how much I would need.  I probably should have ordered more for this tall tree in the first place, and I ended up getting three additional bunches.  I will likely use three bunches overall, so I'll have some leftover for next time and other projects.

Detail of the "leaves" shows the variegated color that works well for early autumn.

Before doing anything rash, I taped a bunch of candy tuft sprigs to the trunk base to see if it was worthwhile.  Yeah, that's nice.  :D

Since I started with green, I had to paint only the stems.  Quick and dirty, no fine detailing here.  It transformed them immediately.  I can certainly see why these are so popular in model railroading.

It was painful, but I stripped the maple leaves I had already glued to the branches and touched up the paint.  I also clipped a lot of the wire branches since the candy tuft flares out and works better with a shorter base branch.  I bought clips at Michaels but used them only a few times with heavier branches, but I did use Aleene's Quick Dry supplemented with super glue gel to help the branches grab more quickly.

Adding the branches was actually less of a pain than one-at-a-time leaves with a quicker payoff.

I touched up the paint around the glued bits to blend in with the tree branch tips.   Hooray!  :D

Looks full until I turn it to the side.  Just awaiting further supplies to finish up....

Of course, now it's no longer a maple...it's more like an ash.  :]  Good thing the bark is similar.

Ticking things off the list

by brae  

We've all been speaking of lists.  Mine is also a bear.  :\  I've been trying to do at least one thing per evening and concentrating on longer sessions on the weekends.  Tonight, I worked on an etsy order and then finished up the black-eyed Susans.  Say it with me, "Each thing I do is one less thing to be done."  :]

Greenery and flowers

by brae  

I made some small bushes from greenery I bought at the minis shows from A Little More in Miniatures.  I planted the stems in styrofoam painted brown and added yellow tips on a few of the branches.  I then planted some of the black-eyed Susans I made yesterday.  Here is one of the bushes at Otter Cove.  I wasn't sold on the punched leaves, so I did some altering.

I curled the main vein/stem in each leaf bunch and made it appear thinner.  Much better.  :]

Rudbeckia, or black-eyed Susans

by brae  

I'm starting to assemble bits for the landscaping, and one of my favorite wildflowers is the black-eyed Susan.  :]  I've made Bonnie Lavish kits in the past, but she is no longer selling and the kits are hard to find.  These flowers are relatively straightforward, so I've made up my own.

For the flowers, I used yellow origami paper and a mini sunflower punch by Punch Bunch.  For the leaves, I used a small ash punch by Punch Bunch and green origami paper.  The leaves aren't meant to be true to life, just a bit of filler to frame the flowers.

After punching out the shapes, I used a dark yellow colored pencil to add some depth to the petals.  I pierced the centers with a sewing pin and shaped the petals with a stylus.  I added veins to the leaves using a stylus as well.  I used 28 gauge wire cut to 2.5" to 3" lengths to have some working room.

I used a larger star punch by Martha Stewart for the calyxes (same olive paper), using the second smallest stars.

I glued two yellow flowers to the end, followed by a calyx.   To add dimension to the center, I applied a bit of glue to the circle and dipped it in tea.  I glued one or two leaf stems to each wire.

The buds are made using Moon Yellow paint by Americana along with a paper calyx rolled up.

I plan to make more to have a good planting.  :]

1 2 4 ...6 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 13