Chimney wall exterior finishing and attic work
Remember how carefully I planned the siding around the chimney?
Yeah, well, it was somewhat a waste of time because it no longer lines up. I'll need to edge the chimney with trim, which won't detract from the realism.
But, before I can glue the chimney in place, I do need to finish up the rest of the siding for the wall and the gable. Since it would be a better fit if the gable shingles were under the chimney and the wall siding outside the chimney, that was the way I proceeded.
I painted and aged the siding and shingles to match the rest of the house.
I replaced the sliver of builders foam to cover the mass of wires at the base. I didn't glue it...just pressed it into the groove.
I painted the wire from the flickering LED in the fireplace and finished up the landscaping on this back corner. Well, there's more to be added here and there, but the grass is in place.
The chimney will cover the bare spot. :]
I glued on the back roof piece for the left side and reinforced the joins with Tyvek where I could.
I did the same thing at the inside peak of the gable. Had I not finished the front roof previously, I would have added the Tyvek over the roof ridge instead.
After grouting and aging the interior chimney piece, I installed the attic wall board and the chimney piece. The main chimney is still removable. It lines up so well, but once the extra wall is in place you won't be able to see it. :\
Before I can glue the right back roof in place, I need to finish up the bedroom ceiling trim. It will be easier to work in an open space without the back roof blocking part of the opening to the bedroom. Another thing I didn't want to wait on was installing the rafters in the forward gable. I cut the rafters to fit and glued them in place. I love the way it looks! :D
The grass is by Heki and purchased from Scenery Express. More here: http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/grandma-s-neglected-lawn-part-2