Chimney update - lower portion

by brae  

Thanks again to those who took the time to send hugs and well wishes for Baxter.  It means more than you know.
__________

Keeping myself occupied with continued work on the Heritage.  Some images can be clicked to enlarge.

Here's a refresher on what the original looks like:

In order to get the same dimensional design with egg carton bricks as the original, I built up the foam core base with layers of cardboard.  Using the wood pieces I had cut from the original kit's bay window pieces as guides, I cut two whole front pieces from thick cardboard with the design portion removed.  Once I am done building up the cardboard, the wood pieces will sit on top of the layers.

Unlike my normal process of just starting the bricks at the bottom and measuring evenly as I go, this time I opted for guidelines.  The design requires different depths and I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with half bricks somewhere along the top where the pattern is most obvious.  So, I started from the top and worked my way down.

At the top of the lower section, I used strips of cardboard to build up the levels.  These will not be glued in place until I start applying bricks.  This way I have some room to move if my guidelines are off.

For the herringbone brickwork, I glued the 1/4" by 3/4" bricks to a piece of graph paper.  I didn't follow the boxes exactly, but the lines made it easier to keep a consistent pattern.  By putting it on paper instead of directly on the foam core base, I was able to move the wood frame piece over the herringbone to find the best possible design.

I traced the outline and then cut the herringbone piece to fit under the bottom layer of cardboard.  I then glued that piece in place on the foam core frame.

Since I didn't need to brick this whole layer but needed to match the thickness of it, I added random bits of egg carton filler to the rest of this layer.

I then added the next cardboard layer on top, matching up the outline on the herringbone bricks.

I cut out one row on the top layer of cardboard to allow for a slightly indented vertical row, as in the original.  I glued the two pieces in place, following the herringbone frame outline.

Next, I built up the sides, also leaving space for the indented vertical row.

I need to re-cut the strips of cardboard to build up the layers near to top since they are already crooked.  :D  I'll fix them once I get the bricks up to that level just in case I need to adjust further.

Since the original photos don't show much of the ground portion, I had to wing it.  I figured a straight shot to the ground might look top heavy, so I added just a bit more weight to the very bottom where it sits with the foundation by adding some 1/4" thick foam core board the same height as the bricks on the foundation.

12 comments

Comment from: Lyssa [Visitor]

I love it! You are a brilliant mastermind of architecture!!! I might have to come camp out on your doorstep and soak up the awesomeness. :)

Fabulous work, Pea!!!

09/01/11 @ 19:31
Comment from: rosa margarita [Visitor]

Asombroso! Perfecto!
Eres una artista
Un abrazo

09/01/11 @ 21:28
Comment from: Jeannette [Visitor]

Very clever how you build the chimney,it looks like the real one.I’m curious looking for the next part,the top of the chimney.But I’m sure you will do it perfect like the rest ;-)! Jeannette

09/02/11 @ 00:34
Comment from: Teresa [Visitor]

Beautiful! That is going to be wonderful!

09/02/11 @ 00:39
Comment from: Keli [Visitor]

You have been a vey busy bee since I saw you last weekend!

The chimney is coming along fabulously…as it should be, since it’s obvious you’ve planned the construction well. You’ve got a good eye, it took me forever to find the slightly indented row you were talking about.

09/02/11 @ 02:50
Comment from: Drora Hed [Visitor]  

I am full of admiration for your work on this project. Thank you for sharing. Blessings, Drora

09/02/11 @ 03:26
Comment from: klara [Visitor]

This is beautiful, thank you for sharing the progress

09/02/11 @ 03:38
Comment from: Audra [Visitor]

It was your bicks on the Newport that inspired me to try the egg carton also. I just love it. Hmmm….think I might try that as a bathroom floor in my Glenwood half bath…

09/02/11 @ 04:45
Comment from: Eliana [Visitor]

The chimney is getting beautiful! I really admire you for the kind of post explaining how you build the house.
Hugs

09/02/11 @ 04:46
Comment from: Lucille [Visitor]

I think you are “patience” incarnated!

09/02/11 @ 10:04
Comment from: Irene [Visitor]

Your chimney looks so like the real thing, it’s well worth all the attention to detail that you’re putting into it. I too enjoyed the detailed step by step pics.

09/02/11 @ 10:54
Comment from: Kathi [Visitor]

Fantastic! You are the master of detail!

09/02/11 @ 16:51


Form is loading...