Chimney attachment, trim and eave finishing
I traced the chimney outline onto a sheet of drawing paper to guide me in cutting the trim that will surround it. I didn't end up using it as a guide, but it was worth taking the time just in case.
The chimney fits well against the house without additional adhesive, but that's not to say it will stay removable. In theory, I can remove it in case of a major wiring disaster, but it would still require some deconstruction in that case.
I added flashing to the chimney using brown cardstock. I crinkled the paper to make it look worn and to help it form to the contours of the brickwork.
From my limited research, I believe chimney flashing is usually under the shingles on the sides, but we'll just ignore that. :D
Next came the process of turning paper into old copper. :D I started with these five paint colors, used in order from left to right: Plantation Pine, Bluegrass Green, Robin's Egg Blue, Slate Green and Bittersweet Chocolate.
I dry-brushed each paint color over the paper flashing to age it. The final color of Bittersweet Chocolate toned down the other brighter and lighter colors. Once I had that done, I added water to my palette and began streaking the same colors down the shingles to give the impression of mineral deposits building up over time.
It's hard to capture in photos, but I love the way it turned out.
I finished the gable eave and trim for the chimney gable and the new back roof addition.
I trimmed the chimney with thin strip wood, and it looks a little awkward in places. But, I plan to cover it with ivy eventually, so that will all work out in the end.
I finished the eaves on the new back roof and added finishing trim on the opposite side as well.
What's left? In addition to finishing the Juliet balcony and roof ridges, I need to install the remaining attic beams and rafters, figure out the guttering and address the open back trim. We're getting so close to structural completion! :D
Greetings from Liduina.
Thank you for the information on the copper colouring. It does look authentic. Surprising too how you can age brown cardstock by crinkling it!
Doing miniatures/dollhouses presents such a lot of challenges and keeps the mind flexible.
Love your work and follow with interest.
Ok brae, I am working on the shrinking machine, I have prepared a bag of rice and sugar grains and I have collected as many strings as I can, to climb into it with a grappling string and fish hook.
You just let me know, I am ready ;P