Bedroom and hallway ceilings installed

by brae  

I cut the notch for the back roof piece and carved the two remaining wire channels in the bedroom ceiling board.

I also cut the new pieces for the roof addition but won't install them until after the back roof is on.

I used the spare wood from the Heritage part sheet that held the gable trims.  :D  Waste not, want not.

Since I'll be installing flat trim around the bedroom ceiling, I traced the walls onto the unpainted ceiling board.

I then cut strip wood following these guidelines.  I might have to do some adjusting during the actual installation, but this should give me a good approximation of lengths and angles.

I painted the bedroom ceiling side with two coats of white paint, sanding once in between.  I primed the attic floor side with black paint.  I pressed the board to dry flat overnight to combat some warping in the plywood.   I glued the ceiling board in place first.  The bedroom interior wall likes to lean into the hallway, so I had to hold it in place during the process.   I added some straight pins for stability, cutting down the length as needed.  I had drilled pilot holes for them to keep the wood from splitting.

I taped the wires into their respective channels, though I still have to lengthen a few of them on the outer wall to reach the power strip.

The ceiling board is a little crooked.  Apparently, the bathroom and bedroom interior walls are slightly off in measurement from one another and the parlor ceiling has started to sag.  Awwww.  It's a good thing this is meant to be an old house.  Haaaa!  And, I'm hoping you will all be so wowed by the interior that you'll ignore this problem.  Maybe finishing the back edges of the interior walls and floors with dark trim could help disguise any warping.  Something to think about....

I've had a lot of challenges with this build, so I've taken these sorts of shortcomings in the end result in stride.  I've learned a lot on this build, and I do love the way it's turning out.  :D

8 comments

Comment from: Jane s [Visitor]

The challenge is what is making it AMAAAAAZIING!!!

*claps excitedly*

01/03/13 @ 08:56
Comment from: 1717mk [Visitor]

Your project is great! I admire the lighting, and everything, details, it’s simply beautiful work!
Magda

01/03/13 @ 11:00
Comment from: Alessandra [Visitor]  

The whole project is amazing! I am so inspired by all the details you create. Just curious - do each of the interior walls have something like styrofoam sandwiched between them? Is this where you run the wires for lighting? I am still trying to figure out how to do all the lighting stuff on my projects.

01/03/13 @ 16:35
Comment from: brae [Member]

Thank you! :D

As for the wiring, I cut channels into the plywood. The bedroom wall here does have a foam core side, but there are no wires inside it…just channels on the wood side.

01/03/13 @ 17:02
Comment from: Mins [Visitor]  

Doesn’t the after warp ply problem drive you mental!!! It’s so fustrating, I had primed both sides of a sheet of ply, had attached it taped so it was straight and everything was perfect until 6 months later!! Even 6 months later it can decide it wants to warp after being so cautious because of weather & humidity :(
But it makes our mini houses more life-like as real houses tend to shift and move a little and show foundation cracks in the first few years of being built… I guess mini houses are the same! Lol
A nice thought really!
Keep up the great work Brae xx

01/03/13 @ 17:07
Comment from: Angie Martin Hall [Visitor]

Looking good, Brae! I love how you traced where the trim will go on the ceiling. I’ll have to use that trick soon. Last time I trimmed the ceiling with crown moulding post installation, it was very difficult to do. Thanks for the tip!

01/03/13 @ 19:39
Comment from: Irene [Visitor]

You’re right to be proud of this. You’re making a grand job of it.

01/04/13 @ 11:04
Comment from: brae [Member]

Thank you!!! :D

01/04/13 @ 17:54


Form is loading...