Category: "Animals"

Making a 1/12 scale horse - part 3

by brae  

Continuing work on the 1/12 scale model horse.  Once I removed the mane last time and saw the slit in the neck, I thought it might be easier to leave the slit to add the mane.  I could glue the hair deeper into the body for a more secure bond.  The slit does go to the top of the head, so I've cleaned it out and widened it to the withers.

I used the Dremel to remove the tail nub left behind from breaking it off.

I then sanded the tail area.  I'll be repairing the area when I attach the tail support so I didn't worry about the exact shape.

Here are the three bits I used in the process.  The Dremel did melt the plastic as I worked, so I was sure to use protective glasses and a mask.  I also made quick cuts and pulled the melted plastic as I worked.

I drilled holes in the nostrils with a pin vise.

The one on the left has been drilled and the one on the right is original.  You can already see a difference in the realism.

I fine-tuned the mouth with an X-Acto blade.

I sanded the few bad places from the deconstruction and then wet sanded the whole horse by hand with 320 grit.  The finish on the plastic was very smooth and I wanted to make sure I had a good grip for the primer.  I also removed the molded copyright from the inner thigh, random mold lines, and any other imperfections in the manufacturing process.

Making a 1/12 scale horse - part 2

by brae  

A few years ago, I bought a 1:12 scale Breyer Thoroughbred with the intent to flock and hair the model.  You can see that introductory post here.  I've been battling the plague this week, but now that the cold meds have worn off I can get to work.  :D  Since this will be a sculpt then wait, paint then wait and glue then wait project, I figured it would be a good thing to do while working on the small scale model A-frame.

In the time since I bought the horse, the plastic mane has lifted from the neck.  In all honesty, it could have been like this all along and I just didn't notice it.  It made it easier to wedge in some pliers to pry off the mane.

One thing I didn't like about the plastic mane from the beginning was that it was formed on the side away from the direction of the horse's gaze.  Removing it for a mohair mane means I can style the hair toward the front.

The nostrils might benefit from drilling in a deeper hole and the mouth could use some fine-tuning.  I'll need to sand the mold line on the tip of the snout.

The eyes are great, so I will take care not to paint over those.  The front mane has come detached from the small contact points as well.

I cleaned up the spine with a utility blade and will fine tune by sanding.  The gap will need to be filled, though it might be a good way to add the mane more securely.  I'll think on that a bit.  I need to replace the putty I bought three years ago since I don't want to take the chance that it has gone bad.

The tail was easy enough to lift and break off since it has no contact points with the legs.  I'll need the Dremel to cut away the remaining excess, but that's for another day.

Herding cats

by brae  

Yeah, it's been a little crazy around here, but I'm still lurking. Hope to be back shortly....

Merry Christmas 2018

by brae  

Wishing you all a joyous Christmas holiday!  :D

The HC - it's coming....

by brae  

I likely won't be posting until this evening.  I'm still working on final touches and then I have to photograph.  I have some photos at the ready, just in case, but the big reveal won't be until this evening.  In the meantime, here's a sneak peek of the doves.

These were made with Hearty Super Lightweight air dry clay and a little paint.  :]  The clay was easy to work with and set up overnight.  It's still pliable enough to squeeze the fat little birds into the popholes.  :D

 

1 2 4 ...6 ...7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 20