Archives for: "March 2016"

Datsun 240ZG - part 7 - initial aging

by brae  

Continuing work on the Datsun 240ZG.  The engine compartment of my barn find auto shouldn't be showroom new, but of course the Testors Fiery Orange turned out showroom new.  :\  Ah, well...easily fixed. I sprayed the compartment with Testors Frosted… more »

Datsun 240ZG - part 6 - engine work continues

by brae  

Continuing work on the Datsun 240ZG.  I've assembled more parts for the engine, and it's coming together nicely.  I added some painted detailing in the way of bronze nuts and bolts.  Making nuts and bolts a different color can add realism with a minimal… more »

Grumpy Cat

by brae  

I spent some of my Shapeways winnings recently on this 3D printed rendition of Grumpy Cat.  Too stinkin' cute! She's not 1:12 scale, more like playscale, but I couldn't resist.  :D  The sometimes troubling grainy texture of 3D printed items works for… more »

Datsun 240ZG - part 5 - engine work

by brae  

I knocked out two pages of instructions for the Datsun 240ZG this weekend!  This isn't all of the work I completed from those pages, but this is the main piece in progress. I've looked at some real life engine photos for color but I've mostly followed… more »

New mini helper from IKEA

by brae  

I've been considering a rolling cart for supplies for some time now, but I'm picky.  :D  I don't care for the plastic ones and the wire ones have openings too large.  I also like things with style.  There's no reason something utilitarian can't also be… more »

Tribal Foxes Rug - 73.25 hours

by brae  

I didn't do as much work on the Tribal Foxes Rug this month, but it's still being stitched here and there.  I'm now at 73.25 hours. I am stitching full cross stitch with single thread over 32 count Jobelan. more »

Datsun 240ZG - part 4 - back to building

by brae  

Continuing work on the Datsun 240ZG. It has been a long while since I last worked on the car model for my barn find.  This will be slow going because there are so many parts in general and many of them will be functional parts.  I'm also in no rush and… more »

A mini write-up

by brae  

My blog was featured in the January 2016 issue of Dolls House and Miniature Scene magazine, a UK publication, and they sent me a copy of the magazine as a souvenir.  :] It's always so flattering to be featured!  :D Inside the magazine, there were a… more »

CC2016 - Third iron officially in the fire

by brae  

Here we go!  The Backyard Bungalow kit has been started.  I'm adding a moderately tall foundation, which I cut from 2" wide strips of plywood.  I like using pre-cut plywood strips so all pieces are the same height. Most of this build will be done… more »

Watson Mill - sails, part 1

by brae  

I cut a front wall from foam core board to determine the setup for the sails. I don't want to drill a hole, have to move it and be left with patching issues on the wood board. I mocked up a back wall for now as well and taped the motor in place. I can make adjustments to this wall as needed.… more »

Milo Valley Farm - old electrical pole

by brae  

With the knob and tube system installed in the barn, it was time to figure out how to get power there.… more »